Symbian^3 - Tips & Tricks
] Keypad shortcuts (Select "Call" from homescreen)
- Bluetooth ON/OFF: longpress on '*'-key
- Call log: press call key
- Contacts: press on contacts icon
- Open browser: longpress on '0'-key
- Silent profile: longpress on '#'-key
Keypad codes (Select "Call" from homescreen and type...)
- *#7370# does hard reset
- *#7780# does soft reset
- *#06# shows your IMEI
- *#0000# shows info about phone software
- *#92702689# (*#war anty#) shows lifetimer
Clock and Profile -widget
- Active and edit profile: press on profile name on the widget
- Calendar: press on date on the widget
- Clock: press on clock on widget
Bluetooth activation/deactivation shortcut
Call > hold press *+
Notifications popup (press on battery icon)
- Clock: press on time on the popup
- Connectivity settings: press on connectivity icon on the popup
- Powersave mode ON/OFF: press on battery icon on the popup
- USB mode: press on USB icon on the popup (when connected)
- WLAN-manager: press on WLAN connection on the popup (when connected)
- Alarm Enable/Disable: Set alarm to repeat, then you can disable and enable it
- Disconnect all networks: longpress with red call key
- Edit Homescreen: longpress on anywhere on the homescreen changes to edit mode
- Faster Homescreen: turn of theme effects from Themes settings to make switching between homescreens instant
- Favorites Widget: you can scroll the favorites widget horizontally and add more than four contacts, unlike in N97 homescreen
- Forced Reboot: press power key for eight seconds simulating "battery removal"
- "Full" Reset: hold "Volume Down + Camera Key + Menu Key" and press power button until your phone shake (Warning! Will remove some apps permanently like Ovi Store and Qt!)
- Predictive QWERTY: predictive text and word auto-completion are also supported on QWERTY, not only in keypad
- Screen Saver Notification: Use 'Music Player' screen saver to show new sms and missed calls icon on screen. Time, Date, Profile and Music being played will also be shown if enabled.
- Silence Calls/Snooze Alarms: turn around your phone upside down to silence calls or snooze alarms (set it on from Settings > Sensor settings)
- Special Characters: longpress on '1*'-character on QWERTY keyboard to input special characters like õ, ü, etc.
- Two way Charge: Both USB and regular thin-pin adapters can be used for charging
- Two way Keylock: open keylock by sliding keylock button on side OR by pressing menu key and then press on the screen where it says "Unlock"
- Two way TV-OUT: use HDMI cable to get digital TV Out (only N8/E7) with HD resolution or use 3.5mm cable for composite TV out
- Voice Command: hold Call button in homescreen (setup voice command first)
- USB OTG: you can directly connect almost any USB device to the phone (including USB mouse, -keyboard, -pendrive and -external HDD)
- Widget settings: in homescreen edit mode, press on widget (Notifications, Mail, Search and Shortcuts)
- Widgets Online/Offline: select Options > "Widget to Offline mode" from homescreen
-When in the filemanager , and when in the mass storage/phone memory/memory card, simply tap on the camera button (Autofocus) and it will bring up a search box
Screen Saver Notification: Use 'Music Player' screen saver to show new sms and missed calls icon on screen. Time, Date, Profile and Music being played will also be shown if enabled.
- Calendar: browse through days by swiping through screen from left to right or vice versa to browse back
- Camera: use Pinch zoom to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios (9Mpix vs 12Mpix on N8)
- Camera: double press on screen to zoom (like with browser)
- Camera: you can also zoom by using volume keys
- File Manager: connect to a network drive by choosing the setting from options menu (instead of Settings)
- File Manager: jump down on folder tree by pressing on one of the folder icons on top of the screen
- File Manager: open search bar by lightly pressing on camera key
- Mail: Collapse and expand all days by doing longpress on a day
- Menu (App. Grid): instead of leaving it to background, choose Options > Exit
- Profiles: set profile (except general and offline) to change based on time of the day from profile settings.
- Ovi Maps: share current (or favorite) location via MMS or E-Mail to any other Nokia device with Maps.
- Task Manager: open Task Manager by doing longpress on (physical) menukey on the phone.
- Task Manager: longpress on any of the apps to bring out option to close individual or all running apps.
Updates : Solution to install ovi store
Search the forums for Navifirm and Phoenix Service Software. Download the firmware for your product code with Navifirm and use Phoenix Service Software to refurbish your N8.
To get perfect video quality (Shared by nicesoni_ash)
Use Any Converter With These
Settings (This should Works Well )
Format : AVI
Resolution : 640x360
Bit-rate: Chose Any Value Between
800 to 2000. The More U Increase
This, The More Will Be The Quality.
But The File Size Will Also Increase.
Codec : Use Either DivX Or Xvid. (I
Aspect Ratio (If This Option Is Not
There Leave It) : 16:9
Frames Per Second (FPS) : Use A
Value Between 23.976-30 Fps. (I Use
Codec : Either Mp3 Or Aac.
Frequency : 44100
Channels : Stereo
Bit-rate: Any Value Between 80 To
160 Kbps (I Use 128 Kbps)
Please share your tips or tricks so that it can be added to first post Hope some of you will find this useful.
Last edited by Ronitvohra; 9th November 2010 at 20:25.